Looking north at Central Avenue and Main Street. Streets were still
unpaved and lined with pepper trees. The early Main Street ran parallel
to the railroad tracks, but businesses began to spring up along Central
Avenue. These stores included a hotel, drug store, pool hall, dry goods
store and theater.
FIRST SCHOOL BUILDING IN BARDSDALE circa 1900
This early school in Bardsdale was located between Bardsdale Avenue and
Pasadena Avenue. It was torn down in 1918. The bell that was located in
the bell tower is on display in the Fillmore Historical Museum’s 1887
Southern Pacific depot. Come by and we will be happy to give you a tour!
SESPE CREEK FLOOD WATERS circa 1938
A Southern Pacific freight train stopped at the west bridge over the
flooding Sespe Creek in 1938. The bridge over the east channel had
already been washed away. (courtesy Fillmore, CA, 1888-Centennial-1988)
FILLMORE’S FIRST SCHOOL circa 1890
This temporary building, hardly more than a shelter-was located in the
Rancho Sespe area of the valley. The ranchers loaned the lumber for the
building with the understanding that the wood would be returned when
school house was taken apart.
DR. IRA HINCKLEY’S DRUG STORE circa 1900
Dr. J.P. Hinckley was Fillmore’s first doctor, and many times he would
be given a chicken, some garden vegetables, or perhaps a fat pig, as his
fee. His son, Dr. Ira Hinckley was the town’s first dentist, and in
1900, also ran the first drugstore at the northeast corner of Ventura
Street and Central Avenue. He had his dental office in the rear of the
store and many a patient waited in the dental chair with their tooth
only half filled while Ira filled a prescription or whipped up an ice
cream soda for a customer at Fillmore’s first soda fountain, located in
the front of the store. The drugstore later became Clough’s Pharmacy.
(courtesy Fillmore, CA, 1888-Centennial-1988)